The Texas State Legislature in 1949 authorized the creation of Underground Water Conservation Districts to perform certain prescribed duties, functions, and hold specific powers as set forth in Article 7880-3c, Texas Civil Statutes, now codified in Chapter 36 of the Texas Water Code. In 1994 a committee appointed by the Hemphill County Commissioners’ Court reviewed the need for Hemphill County to either join an existing groundwater district or in accordance with the statute form a single county district. After investigating other districts and discussions within the county, the committee recommended that a single county district be formed. The Hemphill County Underground Water Conservation District was created the following year by the Hemphill County Underground Water Conservation District Act (Act of May 19, 1995, 74th Leg., R.S., ch.157, 1995 Tex. Gen. Laws 1007). The District was confirmed by a local election held in Hemphill County on November 4, 1997 with 88% of the voters in favor of the District.